Friday, March 4, 2016

Terriyaki Chicken Burger



Try fitting your mouth around this bad boy!  My all-time, without a doubt, forever, most favorite burger is Red Robin's Teriyaki Chicken Burger.  We lived in Vernal, Utah for four years- if you know where that is, congrats!  Let's just say that Red Robin doesn't exist in Vernal :(  So I created my own version to satisfy the withdrawals. 


RECIPE

4 Potato Hamburger buns
2 large chicken breasts (marinaded with recipe below)
lettuce
tomato
pineapple rings
4 slices Swiss cheese
onion rings
mayo

Marinade: 
6 oz can pineapple juice
1/3 C. soy sauce
1/3 C. packed brown sugar
1/4 C. oil
2 TBL apple cider vinegar
1 tsp mined garlic
2 tsp molasses

*Cut both chicken breasts in half so you have four 1/2" thick pieces.  In a gallon Ziploc bag, mix all the marinade ingredients together.  (Zip up the bag and really mix it so all the sugar dissolves).  Add chicken and marinade overnight or at least 8 hours.  Take the chicken out of the fridge 30 minutes before grilling.  Grill on medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side, or until juices come out clear.  Grill the pineapple for 2-3 minutes on each side.  Toss some may on your bun, and layer everything up: lettuce, cheese, chicken, pineapple, tomato, onion rings and ENJOY!


Tips:
  • I have used fresh pineapple before, and it's super good...but unless it's sliced thick, it will fall apart when grilling.  I just use the canned pineapple rings since I use the juice in the marinade- nothing goes to waste.
  • Get the Swiss cheese at the deli so you buy as many slices as needed-this will be a lot cheaper. 
  • I always make fresh onion rings- but I don't have a post for those, yet.  Buy pre-made ones in the frozen section.... or sometimes if I'm close to Red Robin, they'll sell me a small box of their onion straws- which makes dinner super easy.  Or to make these slightly healthier, caramelize some onions.  Do whatever works for you.  The onion flavor is crucial for perfection (in my opinion).    

No comments:

Post a Comment