Friday, February 5, 2016

Whole Wheat Waffles




I prefer this recipe made into waffles but my boys like pancakes, so we make pancakes 75% of the time.  My favorite way to eat them is with peanut butter OR I fry up some turkey bacon and an egg and make a waffle/pancake sandwich.  Best breakfast ever.    

RECIPE

1 C. whole wheat kernels (not flour)
1 1/2 - 2 C. milk, divided
1 egg
2 TBL sugar or honey
1 tsp salt
1 TBL baking powder
1/2 C. Canola Oil

*Put wheat kernels and 1 C. milk in a blender.  Cover and blend on high for 3-5 minutes.  Add remaining milk and blend another 5 minutes.  Keep the blender going while you add the rest of the ingredients.  Preheat waffle iron while the blender is running.  Pour batter into a lightly greased waffle iron and cook until golden crispy.

Tips:
  • It makes several pancakes.....I freeze half of them and pull them out during the next week for breakfast.  Since I work 3 mornings a week, I don't have time to make breakfast- these pancakes come in handy.....I toast them to make them crispy, then add some PB on top.    
  • Not all blenders are made equal.  Mine is from Walmart which is why the batter has to blend so long.  If you have a nicer blender (like something from Costco), it doesn't take more than a minute or two to grind the wheat kernels.  
  • I add the full 2 cups of milk because I like thinner batter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment